Daniel 11:1 Also I in the first year of Darius the Mede, even I, stood to confirm and to strengthen him.
(Daniel 10:21 should be verse #1 of this chapter. In fact, all of chapter 10:1 to 11:1 is background and introduction.)
- I = Gabriel is speaking here. This explains why Darius was so kind to Daniel, especially regarding the lions den. When man finds favor on God's people it's always due to ministering angels softening the heart.
- I stood to confirm and to strengthen him = Gabriel is helping Darius in the same way he helped Cyrus.
back to top
Daniel 11:2 And now will I shew thee the truth. Behold, there shall stand up yet three kings in Persia; and the fourth shall be far richer than they all: and by his strength through his riches he shall stir up all against the realm of Grecia.
- this vision was given in 534BC
After the death of the present king Cyrus, the next four kings were..
1. Cambyses 530-522 (of Persia)
2. Smerdis (Bardiya) 522 (assassinated) (of Persia)
3. Darius I 522-486 (of Persia)
4.Artexerxes (Ahasuerus) (486-465) who was husband to Esther, did in fact "stir all" when he came against the Greeks with help from 40 other nations to defeat Greece. This causes Alexander to step up in revenge, and start the next global kingdom.
- the fourth shall be far richer than they all = Artexerxes. (See Esther 1:1,4)
Esther 1:1,4, "Now it came to pass in the days of Ahasuerus, (this is Ahasuerus which reigned, from India even unto Ethiopia, over an hundred and seven and twenty provinces:) When he shewed the riches of his glorious kingdom and the honour of his excellent majesty many days, even an hundred and fourscore days."
- his strength through his riches = his riches made him proud.
- he shall stir up = At the time of Artexerxes all nations were under Persian rule except Greece. This is why it was easy for him to "stir up" the 40 nations against them.
back to top
Daniel 11:3 And a mighty king shall stand up, that shall rule with great dominion, and do according to his will.
- "mighty king" = Alexander the great (336 to 323BC) In Daniel 2 Alexander is "thighs of brass." In Daniel 7 he is "the leopard." in Daniel 8 he is "the he-goat" with the notable horn that breaks and four others come up.
- "great dominion" = Alexander's rule. At the time of his early death it was the largest empire the world had every known.
back to top
Daniel 11:4 And when he shall stand up, his kingdom shall be broken, and shall be divided toward the four winds of heaven; and not to his posterity, nor according to his dominion which he ruled: for his kingdom shall be plucked up, even for others beside those.
- when he shall stand up = when "he" is at the height of his power.
- he = Alexander the great
- shall be broken = Alexander was getting ready to build his "capital city" at the site of old Babylon in 323BC when what appears to be swamp fever fueled to fatal levels by alcohol killed him at age 32 after *a night of drunken debauchery.
- divided toward the four winds = Alexander's empire was divided by his four Generals after his death. Cassander took the west, Lysimachus took the north, Seleucus took the east, and Ptolemy took the south.
- "four winds" = NSEW When Alexander died his four generals became kings of the north, south, east and west. (see Daniel 7:6's leopard with "four heads." Also see Revelation notes for "four.")
- "not to his posterity" = Alexander's posthumous son was called king but was killed as a child when the four generals were arguing about dividing the empire. No descendent of Alexander ruled. Hence it was "not to his posterity" or "according to his dominion."
- his kingdom shall be plucked up = Cassander took the west, Lysimachus took the north, Seleucus took the east, and Ptolemy took the south. They became the kings of the N.S.E.W for this time.
- even for others besides those = Alexander's sons and relatives were slain. No one of his "posterity" or "dominion" ruled. (The word "those" in this passage can also be translated, "these." )
*He was said to have drunk equal to the twenty one quests and then twice drank full the Herculean cup containing over one gallon. -Daniel and the Revelation pg 56, by Uriah Smith.
back to top
Daniel 11:5 And the king of the south shall be strong, and one of his princes; and he shall be strong above him, and have dominion; his dominion shall be a great dominion.
- king of the south = At the present time in history, the "king of the south" here refers to the southern part of Greece's divided empire which included Egypt. (see verse 8) Ptolemy was the first "king of the south." "One of the best known south Arabian inscriptions, (Glaser no. 1155) refers to a war between Persia and Egypt and calls the respective kings, the Lord of the North and the Lord of the South." -Exhaustive EGW on Daniel p 324
- one of his princes = Seleucus I Nicator (305-281BC) He was another one of Alexander's generals. He was seeking to take the Eastern portion of Alexander's kingdom but was having trouble, so he placed himself under the command of Ptolemy. As fighting continued Seleucus gained and became stronger than Ptolemy.
- strong above him... his dominion shall be a great dominion = Seleucus, who at one time could be considered one of Ptolemy's princes later became stronger than the Egyptian king." (Exhaustive EGW on Daniel -p 324) Seleucus was "the greatest king of those who succeeded Alexander." (Anabasis of Alexander vii. 22) Due to his success, the Eastern portion of Alexander's Empire and most of the Northern territories were united as one Empire by Seleucus in 281BC.
back to top
Daniel 11:6 And in the end of years they shall join themselves together; for the king's daughter of the south shall come to the king of the north to make an agreement: but she shall not retain the power of the arm; neither shall he stand, nor his arm: but she shall be given up, and they that brought her, and he that begat her, and he that strengthened her in these times.
- end of years = After Seleucus' death and the fighting between the north and south ends
- join themselves = Anticichus II Theos (261-246) who was grandson to Seleucus I married Berenice, a daughter of the Egyptian king, Ptolemy II for the sole purpose of generating "peace."
- the king's daughter of the south = Berenice, a daughter of the Egyptian king Ptolemy II.
- king of the north = At the present time of this vision, the "king of the north" is speaking of the "Seleucids" whose territory was North of Palestine today and ruled by Antichious II.
- Not retain his power = After a son was born to Berenice, it caused Antichious and Laodice to reconcile. Antichious came to power.
- neither shall he stand = Antichious II dies suddenly
- nor his arm = Antichious' son by Berenice was prevented from ruling by being killed by Laodice.
- she shall be given up = Berenice and her infant son were also killed by Laodice.
- and they that brought her = many of Berenice's ladies in waiting were also killed.
- and he that begat her = Berenice's father Ptolemy who died earlier in Egypt.
- and he that strengthened her = Antichious, Berenice's husband who died suddenly.
After all the killings, Seleucus II, son of Antiochus II and Laodice became the next king of the north from 246 - 226BC
back to top
Daniel 11:7 But out of a branch of her roots shall one stand up in his estate, which shall come with an army, and shall enter into the fortress of the king of the north, and shall deal against them, and shall prevail:
- branch of her roots = Ptolemy III Euergetes, son of Ptolemy II and brother of Bernice, (out of "her" roots) succeeded his father in 246BC.
- stand up in his estate ... enters fortress of king of the north = Ptolemy III invaded Syria in revenge for his sister's (Bernice) murder.
- king of the north = At the time of this vision, the "king of the north" was the "Seleucids" whose territory was North of Palestine today.
- shall prevail = Ptolemy III was victorious against Seleucus II.
back to top
Daniel 11:8 And shall also carry captives into Egypt their gods, with their princes, and with their precious vessels of silver and of gold; and he shall continue more years than the king of the north.
- Egypt = This confirms who the "king of the south" is that is spoken of in V5. It also proves it is the king of the south attacking the king of the north and prevailing in V7.
- their gods = The Decree of Canopus (239-238BC) speaks of Ptolemy III brought the Persian "sacred images" back into their Egyptian temple as booty.
- he shall continue = Ptolemy III died in 222BC, two years after Seleucus III.
NOTE: Strongs # 05979 translates the word "continue" as "stood, stand, endure, remain, etc"
back to top
Daniel 11:9 So the king of the south shall come into his kingdom, and shall return into his own land.
- king of the south = Ptolemy III returns to Egypt causing Seleucus to march on Egypt to regain power and prestige.
- return to his own land = Seleucus was defeated and forced to return to Syria empty-handed. (about 240BC) One can also see that "returning to his own land" was necessary to defend it.
back to top
Daniel 11:10 But his sons shall be stirred up, and shall assemble a multitude of great forces: and one shall certainly come, and overflow, and pass through: then shall he return, and be stirred up, even to his fortress.
- his sons = Sons of Seleucus II, king of the north. They were Seleucus III also called Ceraunus Soter who reigned 226 - 223BC and and Antiochus III the Great who reigned 223 - 187BC.
- shall be stirred up = they are stirred up to reclaim the rich booty that was taken by Ptolemy III.
- overflow, and pass through = In 219BC Antiochus III retook Seleucia and then Palestine from his rival Ptolemy IV Philopator. He was also able to "penetrate Transjordan" at this time.
- then shall he return and be stirred up, even to his fortress = Antiochus III returns home having failed in reclaiming all that he wished in regards to territory and booty. Being "stirred up" he seeks revenge in V11.
back to top
Daniel 11:11 And the king of the south shall be moved with choler, and shall come forth and fight with him, even with the king of the north: and he shall set forth a great multitude; but the multitude shall be given into his hand.
- king of the south = Ptolemy IV Philopator
- moved with choler = the same as it did in Daniel 8:7 wherein Alexander moved with choler. It means Ptolemy IV will defeat king of the north just as easy as Alexander defeated his foes.
- king of the north = Antiochus III, the Great
- and he = Antiochus III, the Great, the king of the north
- a great multitude = Antiochus III had 62,000 infantry, 6000 calvary, and 102 elephants,
- but.. shall be given into his hand = The word "but" here denotes even though the odds appeared against the king of the south, Ptolemy IV still defeated the larger army of Antiochus III at the Battle of Raphia in 217. Antiochus III lost 10,000 infantry, 300 calvary and 4000 prisoners.
back to top
Daniel 11:12 And when he hath taken away the multitude, his heart shall be lifted up; and he shall cast down many ten thousands: but he shall not be strengthened by it.
- he = Ptolemy IV Philopator
- when he hath taken away the multitude, his heart shall be lifted up = Ptolemy IV is obviously just as proud as was Nebuchadnezzar in his day.
- not be strengthened = Ptolemy IV failed to make the best of his victory at Raphia. This victory didn't last long or even strengthen his power. His lack of effort or control after his victory allowed Antiochus the chance to recoup his losses in the eastern territories all the way up to the border of India. (Ptolemy died in 204BC and his 5 year old son Ptolemy V Epiphanes ruled from 204 to 180BC) The king of the north who was Antiochus III at this time took advantage of Ptolemy III's early death and young successor to invade and take Palestine in 201BC.
back to top
Daniel 11:13 For the king of the north shall return, and shall set forth a multitude greater than the former, and shall certainly come after certain years with a great army and with much riches.
- king of the north shall return = Antiochus III, the Great took advantage of the king of the south, Ptolemy V's young age in 201BC and invaded Palestine. They controlled Palestine until 63BC when Rome took it.
- after certain years = this appears to refer to the second campaign where Antiochus III came back after losing in the first campaign. Only this time with many more troops and riches to take Palestine.
back to top
Daniel 11:14 And in those times there shall many stand up against the king of the south: also the robbers of thy people shall exalt themselves to establish the vision; but they shall fall.
- in those times = the "certain years" mentioned in previous verse?
- king of the south = Ptolemy V Epiphanes
- robbers of thy people = Rome's first appearance. They (Rome) will eventually "rob" the Jews of their independence in 63BC and then later in 70AD destroy their temple. I believe they are called "robbers of the people" because of how Rome robbed people of their promised rewards in politics. To this day, Rome makes political promises to gain friends and then later reneges on the promise to conquer and merge them into the Roman empire.
- shall exalt themselves to establish the vision = from 176 - 164BC Antiochus IV set out to exterminate the religion and culture of the Jews. They killed many, plundered Jerusalem, burned the Scriptures, and offered swine's flesh on the temple's altar.
- but they shall fall = the king of the north at this time will eventually fall. Rome was gaining power and eventually won a victory over Antiochus IV in 190BC and gained the territory as far east as the Taurus mountains in southern. Then they gained more territory from Alexander's western region in 168BC. Rome warned Antiochus IV not to cause problems in Egypt and he obeyed till 63BC. Rome also entered an alliance with the Jews in 161BC to protect them from Grecian powers.
back to top
Daniel 11:15 So the king of the north shall come, and cast up a mount, and take the most fenced cities: and the arms of the south shall not withstand, neither his chosen people, neither shall there be any strength to withstand.
- king of the north = Antiochus III continues his campaign spoken of in V13
- a mount = a siege
- the most fenced cities = Could be Gaza that fell to Antiocus III in 201BC after a terrible siege. It can also refer to when Antiochus III forced an Egyptian army to surrender after a siege at Sidon.
- arms of the south shall not withstand = Egypt fails to defeat Antiochus III.
- neither his chosen people = Gabriel is reviewing the punishment of the Jews by the king of the north.
- neither shall there be any strength to withstand = the king of the south and the Jews were absolutely powerless against the king of the north.
back to top
Daniel 11:16 But he that cometh against him shall do according to his own will, and none shall stand before him: and he shall stand in the glorious land, which by his hand shall be consumed.
- he that cometh against him = Roman powers that attack the Grecian king of the north.
- shall do according to his will and none shall stand before him = the Grecian king of the north, in the holy land, fell before the Roman general Pompey in 63BC
- the glorious land = Palestine. (Jerusalem's independence is taken by Rome by Pompey in 63BC) Rome begins its prophesied rule as depicted in the dream of Nebuchadnezzar in chapter 2 and Daniel's visions in chapters 7 & 8. Jerusalem became a province of Rome in 63BC
- which by his hand shall be consumed = the Grecian dynasty's prophesied end after 268 years of rule in Palestine. Rome takes control and becomes the next king of this part of the northern kingdom. (It's not until 30BC that Rome is able to take control of the territory of the king of the south.) Jerusalem never again regains independence. In fact, they are under Roman rule all the way up to 70AD when Titus destroys the city.
back to top
Daniel 11:17 He shall also set his face to enter with the strength of his whole kingdom, and upright ones with him; thus shall he do: and he shall give him the daughter of women, corrupting her: but she shall not stand on his side, neither be for him.
- he = the fact it says "he shall also..." denotes whoever is spoken of last in previous verse is the one being spoken of in this verse, which is Rome lead by Julius Caesar.
- set his face to enter with the strength of his whole kingdom = the word "with" = "against" in Hebrew.As arrogant as Caesar was, he went as he pleased against the remaining portion of Alexander's kingdom, that being of course, Egypt.
- thus he shall do = there was an agreement between the king of the north and king of the south
- and he = Ptolemy XI = king of south
- him = Julius Caesar
- daughter of women = Cleopatra daughter of Ptolemy XI. Ptolemy XI placed his two children, Cleopatra and Ptolemy XII, under guardianship of Rome before his death in 51BC. Cleopatra came on the scene after Alexander's death and was a member of the Ptolemaic dynasty during the Hellenistic period. (Helenistic = the time when Alexander's four generals ruled Greece)
- corrupting her = Caesar corrupted Cleopatra by having her as his mistress. She was also corrupted politically as history proves. After Caesar was assassinated she tried to join her forces with Marc Antony's to defeat Octavian so as to merge Egypt and Rome. They failed and both Antony and Cleopatra committed suicide.
- neither be for him = Cleopatra was not "with" Caesar politically as he originally assumed. Her loyalty remained with her father's kingdom of the south. This is confirmed after his assassination in 44BC (see verse 19) when she and Marc Antony tried to merge Egypt with Rome's growing Empire presently under the rule of Octavian her stepson. (later called Augustus Caesar) Cleopatra sought to have her illegitimate son Caesarion (with Julius Caesar) rule instead of Caesar's rightful heir, Octavian. Her and Antony of course failed in the battle at Actium. It was then they both committed suicide. When she died, the Ptolemaic dynasty ended. Rome took control of the Grecian kingdom.
back to top
Daniel 11:18 After this shall he turn his face unto the isles, and shall take many: but a prince for his own behalf shall cause the reproach offered by him to cease; without his own reproach he shall cause it to turn upon him.
- he = Julius Caesar again for emphasis
- the isles = war in other parts of the empire drew Julius Caesar away from Egypt, where he was successful. He invaded all the remaining coastlands of Africa, Syria, and Asia Minor. (isles also = sea coasts)
- a prince for his own behalf = Caesar's military commander named G. Cassius Longinus who was the brother in law to Marcus Junius Brutus. Brutus befriended Caesar and his political desires.
- reproach = Rome was a republic. But after many successful conquests, Caesar was offered the title of dictator. This would be a reproach to the republic and no doubt the reason for his assassination.
- shall cause it to turn upon him = Caesar's insolence / arrogance was turned upon him to the point of assassination. Reason being is, Caesar wanted to remove the Republican form of Government to become Dictator. Out of fear, those that were "with him" in this desire also feared death and so turned on Caesar. Hence the famous final statement of Caesar, "et tu Brute" which translated means "and you, Brutus?"
back to top
Daniel 11:19 Then he shall turn his face toward the fort of his own land: but he shall stumble and fall, and not be found.
- he = Julius Caesar
- his own land = Julius Caesar returns to Rome.
- stumble and fall = his political aspirations to rule as dictator cause his fall. He literally "stumbles and falls" after being stabbed 23 times by Cassius, Brutus and others. His assassination happens in the Theatre of Pompey in Rome on the ides of March (March 15), 44 BC.
- not be found = Julius Caesar dies.
back to top
Daniel 11:20 Then shall stand up in his estate a raiser of taxes in the glory of the kingdom: but within few days he shall be destroyed, neither in anger, nor in battle.
- stand up in his estate = Octavian, (later called Augustus) the son of Cleopatra and Caesar became Augustus Caesar.
- a raiser of taxes = Octavian (Augustus) did “reform the taxes” in his administration. This was during the time of Christs birth. Luke 2:1 actually says, "And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed." (it was this tax that eventually brought Joseph and Mary to Bethlehem)
- within a few days shall be destroyed = Augustus died rather quickly. He only ruled 13 years. Roman rulers were elected for life. 13 years was not a long time for a Roman ruler. Even his father, Julius Caesar, who was cut short in assassination in 44BC, ruled 56 years.
- day = a year. See Numbers 14:34 or Ezekiel 4:6
- neither in anger, nor in battle = Augustus died peacefully in his bed while visiting the place of his father's death. (August 19, 14AD) He died of natural causes. Either by disease or old age. It was most assuredly not in battle, nor in anger that he died. He was 77 at death. It has been implied by some sources that his fourth wife, Livia, poisoned him to have her son, Tiberius, rule in his stead.
back to top
Daniel 11:21 And in his estate shall stand up a vile person, to whom they shall not give the honour of the kingdom: but he shall come in peaceably, and obtain the kingdom by flatteries.
- his estate = Octavian (Augustus)
- shall stand up = will succeed him
- a vile person = Tiberius was considered a dark and gloomy person who had bouts with severe depression and dark moods. He was not loved by his people. He also allowed himself to come under the influence of unscrupulous men, which did in fact soil his image throughout history. He was very intelligent, but widely misunderstood and unloved. It has also been implied in historic sources that he was a drunk who lived in a continual state of drunkenness 24 hours a day.
- they shall not give the honour of the kingdom = literally. Tiberius was not originally in line for the throne. He had to be adopted to be considered an heir to the throne due to the fact there was no one else to rule because of untimely deaths. He didn't want the position, but reluctantly agreed when the Senate insisted. He was not very fond of the "honors" offered him by Rome. Some claim it was his modesty that prevented him from accepting the honors, others accused him of political hypocrisy. In any event, he was not loved or honored by his peers.
- he shall come in peaceably = when Augustus died, Tiberius was adopted into power without conflict or assassination.
- obtain the kingdom by flatteries = Tiberius was convinced "by words" of others to rule. His age and ill health also factored into his acceptance. Still, he was not traditionally honored to be there. He gained the throne by the political influence, or "flatteries" of his mother Livia. He ruled from 14 - 37AD.
back to top
Daniel 11:22 And with the arms of a flood shall they be overflown from before him, and shall be broken; yea, also the prince of the covenant.
- arms of a flood = Tiberius was successful in many military campaigns against Germany and the East and in the east on the frontiers of Armenia and Parthia.
- shall be broken = Tiberius rested at Micenum. His illness had caused him to appear to be dying or at the worst, dead. Caligula thought to take possession of the empire, when Tiberius suddenly revived. But Marco, the praetorian prefect had him suffocated with pillows.
- him = Tiberius
- yea also the Prince of the covenant = Jesus Christ. Tiberius reigned from 14-37AD. This means it was he that installed Pontius Pilate as governor when Jesus was crucified.
back to top
Daniel 11:23 And after the league made with him he shall work deceitfully: for he shall come up, and shall become strong with a small people.
- after the league = Rome was known to join themselves with other nations for political gain as well as to "absorb" them into their number eventually. During Tiberius' reign, (14-37AD) the Bible clearly states that the Romans allied themselves with the Jews. This is why the Jews often stated "we have no king but Caesar" (John 19:15)
- him = Tiberius at this time, and then all Roman emperors thereafter.
- he shall work deceitfully = Tiberius, and all Roman emperors were well known to renege on political promises throughout their history. A perfect example would be their alliance with the Jews at this time which later allowed Rome to conquer the Jews in 63BC.
- shall become strong with a small people = history dictates that Rome often imposed upon their smaller allies to perform their conquests for them. They were too small to stand alone at this time. Once their allies helped them, they absorbed them into their kingdom. They no doubt used the much smaller Jewish nation as well, but on the "religious" end of things so as to also have control over the churches as well. Rome ruled over them before, during and after the time of Christ.
back to top
Daniel 11:24 He shall enter peaceably even upon the fattest places of the province; and he shall do that which his fathers have not done, nor his fathers' fathers; he shall scatter among them the prey, and spoil, and riches: yea, and he shall forecast his devices against the strong holds, even for a time.
- he = starting with Tiberius, Rome moved ahead as a global power.
- enter peaceably = Just as Rome does today, "by peace [they] shall destroy many." (Daniel 8:25) Most were unaware of Rome's preconceived plans to overthrow their allies because they came in bearing gifts and promises of friendship. Rome does this to this day. Her political movements allow her to gain kingdoms by craftiness or treachery Daniel also spoke of in 8:25
- the fattest places = wealthy industrious nations like Phoenicia and Memphis in Egypt as well as other places.
- his father have not done = Emperors of Rome changed their political m.o. from this point forward. None of their Roman ancestors were as successful as these were in gathering wealth and friends.
- scatter among them = Rome "spread the wealth" so as to assure friends in even the small nations, of which they then became stronger with. Rome also granted their soldiers land in the territories they conquered.
- he shall forecast his devices against the strong holds = Rather quickly it became obvious no one could stand up to the invincible armies of Rome. Rome had a preplanned (forecast) agenda that they worked towards behind closed doors. And even though they appeared "friendly" to those they gave gifts unto, it was all designed to conquer their strongholds so as to eventually absorb them into the Roman empire. I believe this was how Satan was able to prepare mankind with political tactics it could learn from that would later be implemented in the New World Order of the end days.
- for a time = from Tiberius on, Rome moved politically by using pomp and circumstance as well as bribes and favors to influence all sorts of friends and allies throughout the world. But they could only do so "for a time." Rome eventually fell in 476AD, and regrouped under the Roman church. But even here they can only do as they do "for a time" because it is written in V45 that it is here "he shall come to his end."
Interesting NOTE: a "time" = a year in prophecy. A year consisted of 360 days back then. This "time" had to begin when Rome had complete and utter rule over all kingdoms. This of course occurred in 31BC. If you add 360 years you come to 330AD. This is the exact year Rome was no longer the city wherewith they ruled. Constantine moved the seat of pwer to Byzantium, which was later called Constantinople.
back to top
Daniel 11:25 And he shall stir up his power and his courage against the king of the south with a great army; and the king of the south shall be stirred up to battle with a very great and mighty army; but he shall not stand: for they shall forecast devices against him.
NOTE from previous verse. Gabriel now gives a brief summary of Roman history...
- he = Pagan Rome
- stir up his power = Mark Antony looked to avenge Caesar's death. He went to Egypt to do so but fell to the charms of Cleopatra. He gave her province after province to please her. This angered Octavian to the point of war being declared on Egypt. Some sources also see this at the crusades against Muslims and Jews (for 150 years 1095AD to 1250AD)
- king of the south = The last of the Grecian empires, Egypt (Muslims
- stirred up to battle = Egypt readying for war against Roman invasion. Antony assembled a fleet of 500 ships with 200,000 soldiers 12,000 horses at Samos.
- he shall not stand = Even though Octavian assembled far less men, unlike Antony he had the pick of the lot. His troops were far stronger than Antony's. As the battle raged on, Cleopatra became fearful and fled. Antony, being infatuated with her, saw her flee and went after her. Being a leader in battle, his leaving confused his men and cost him the battle. Octavian wins the fight and Rome literally becomes both the king of the north and the south "politically" for a time.
- shall forecast devices against him = As always, Rome had a preplanned (forecast) agenda that they worked towards in all this. For years Egypt was being "set up" so that they would be unable to win against them when they eventually attacked.
back to top
Daniel 11:26 Yea, they that feed of the portion of his meat shall destroy him, and his army shall overflow: and many shall fall down slain.
- they that feed of the portion of his meat = household relatives and "trusted" friends. It is also interesting to note that in ancient times, those that ate the food provided by another were expected to remain loyal to them from that day forward. It was tradition like this that allowed Rome to gain the trust of many leaders they later planned to conquer.
- shall destroy him = those that were expected to be loyal did the opposite in betrayal, or their advice was structured in a way that caused the fall. Rome was infamous for this in that they would make friends, and then turn on them for political gain. In this case, Cleopatra deserted Antony, who due to his infatuation ran to her side. This caused his army to desert him and join Octavian. When Antony came to Lybia later he found that Octavian was declared Caesar. He then joined Cleopatra in death by suicide.
- shall overflow = Rome's military gained in power when Antony's men joined with Octavian.
- many fall down slain = most of the Antony's men, and all of the treasure on board the ships perished when the entire fleet was destroyed in battle. Plus, all of Antony's supporters were eventually slain by Octavian.
back to top
Daniel 11:27 And both these kings' hearts shall be to do mischief, and they shall speak lies at one table; but it shall not prosper: for yet the end shall be at the time appointed.
- both these kings = Octavian and Antony were in alliance at first. It can also be said, due to Antony and Cleopatra's alliance that Rome and Egypt can be seen as "both these kings" as well.
- shall do mischief = Octavian and Antony both seek to rule Rome. Due to Antony's alliance with Cleopatra, one can say that both Rome and Egypt sought universal rule as well.
- shall speak lies at one table = leaders of both sides met and lied about their plans for each others good so as to "forecast" an agenda they preferred for self instead. They played it up as if they were concerned for each other, when in fact they were not. This lends itself to the "mischief" spoken of by Gabriel. However, right off, thanks to Antony being smitten by Cleopatra, Antony and Octavian, who were "political" allies at one time, were now secretly against each other due to both seeking to rule as Emperor of Rome.
- the end shall be at the time appointed = prophecy will be fulfilled just as Gabriel told Daniel. No matter how big the plans of men are, God is always in control. When He appoints it to end, it will end. This is confirmed in Daniel 4:35 where it says, "And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?"
back to top
Daniel 11:28 Then shall he return into his land with great riches; and his heart shall be against the holy covenant; and he shall do exploits, and return to his own land.
- shall he return into his land with great riches = Octavian/Augustus took his spoils from Egypt back to Rome with him.
- his heart shall be against the holy covenant = in a broad sense, this "covenant" here that Rome is against has to do with everything from the Gospel message, salvation, the promised seed, and the promised land of the Jews. ll of this came to a head of course in 66AD when Rome invaded Judea, and took the cities of Galilee, Chorazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum, where our Lord had been rejected. But when they set their sites on Jerusalem and surrounded it, they were suddenly called back to Rome for some unknown reason. As Jesus predicted in Matthew 24:15, the Christians understood this sign and fled the city. Then in 70AD Titus came back and took the city and killed everyone in it. They also destroyed the temple of the Lord just as Jesus predicted in Matthew 24:2. Another fulfillment of Rome's heart being "against the covenant" can be seen in Constantine who was most assuredly against the salvation Christ offered at Calvary. He even went so far as to mix Christianity with Paganism so as to bring all churches under one roof as the Popes do today post Vatican II. Hence he gave birth to Roman Catholicism. Constantine also instituted the first "Sunday Laws" on March 7, 321AD which boldly struck at the "holy covenant" between God and His people.
- the holy covenant = As we know, Jesus Christ is the "Prince of the Covenant" (see V22) and so this covenant is what Christ instituted at Sinai and confirmed for eternity at Calvary.
- he shall do exploits = Octavian, like all Roman emperors, was known for his military conquests. By the end of his reign in 19BC, his armies conquered northern Hispania (modern Spain and Portugal),the Alpine regions of Raetia and Noricum (modern Switzerland, Bavaria, Austria, Slovenia), Illyricum and Pannonia (modern Albania, Croatia, Hungary, Serbia), and extended the borders of the African Province to the east and to the south. Later, under Herod the Great, Judea was added to the province of Syria when Augustus deposed his successor "Herod."
back to top
Daniel 11:29 At the time appointed he shall return, and come toward the south; but it shall not be as the former, or as the latter.
- at the time appointed = as is always the case, as God directs, mankind must follow. V24 stated it would be only "for a time" and so it was.
- he shall return = Constantine
- come toward the south = Constantine came against Adrianople in 323AD and defeated Licinius. He then renamed the city Byzantium, "Constantinople" after himself.
- it shall not be as the former, or as the latter = Constantine moved the capital of Rome to Constantinople, thereby weakening Rome to where it never revcovered. It would eventually fall in 476AD. As prophesied, it was never as strong as Rome was before the move (the former) and it would be nothing like itself (the latter) in the future because it would become Papal Rome.
back to top
Daniel 11:30 For the ships of Chittim shall come against him: therefore he shall be grieved, and return, and have indignation against the holy covenant: so shall he do; he shall even return, and have intelligence with them that forsake the holy covenant.
- ships of Chittim shall come against him = Barbarian invaders from the Northern Mediterranean coastlands that helped to break up the Roman empire. The Vandals, from northern Africa, under Genseric, repeatedly came against the Roman empire with there naval forces. Genseric lead the Vandals to come against the coasts of Spain, Liguria, Tuscany, Campania, Lucania, Bruttium, Apulia, Calabria, Venetia, Dalmatia, Epirus, Greece, and Sicily. Thanks to Constantine moving Rome's capital, even Italy itself was not spared from Genseric. Genseric’s career lasted from 428 A.D. to 468 A.D.
- he shall be grieved = Rome's repetitive failures in battles with Genseric causeed much grief and humiliation. Especially when the original seat of Rome was ravaged by Genseric.
- have indignation against the holy covenant = Rome starts to show their hatred of Christianity more openly now.
- have intelligence with them that forsake the holy covenant = Emperors of Rome start to meet with Bishops of Rome and form a church & State conglomerate. The little horn of Daniel 7:25 rises up among the "ten horns" and begins to grow in power both politically as well as religiously.
back to top
Daniel 11:31 And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.
- arms shall stand on his part = political force will be used to help those that "forsake the holy covenant." Rome did this by creating Papal Rome wherein the Church and the State are joined as one. In 496 A.D. Clovis, King of the Franks converted to Catholicism. In so doing he recognizes the Bishop of Rome as the head of the Christian church. He even ackowledges the blasphemous title "vicar of God on earth" (Vicarius Filii Dei) of the Pope, which brings about the little horn's desire to "speak great words against the most high" as Daniel 7:25 depicts . Clovis then places his armies at the disposal of the Pope to defend the faith as well as expand her borders in the religious realm by assuming the role as a "corrector of heresies."
- they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength = the Heavenly Sanctuary. Pollute also means to "profane." (See Strong's # H2490) Converting to Roman Catholicism while claiming it to be Christianity boldly profaned the message of the Gospel to the core of many unsuspecting hearts. It mixed vile Paganism with the truth of Christ's Word and trampled His truth underfoot.
- take away the daily sacrifice = Paganism was no longer the religion of Rome. Paganism was used by Satan to "daily" persecute Christians. But now Paganism was "baptized" into the church by mixing Christianity with Paganism. It was then instituted as the law of the land at this time (496AD) and was a forced conversion unto the people from Paganism to what they called Christianity or "Catholicism." By 508AD all visible signs of Paganism was removed by Clovis. All images, statues and rituals of Paganism were then sanctioned as "Christian" icons.
- they shall place the abomination that makes desolate = here the political Pope began to stand supreme from inside the church to be declared a "god on earth" thereby making the faith of all that agreed desolate. The title "god on earth" was a stance formally held by Roman Emperors. This placing of the Roman Pope as the head of the church as well as the State caused the Vandals, Herulis and Ostrogoths to rebel. The Vandals and Herulis were quickly defeated. The Ostorgoths backed off allowing the Pope his way for a bit, but later laid siege to the city where Belisarius resided. They did this for one year, but they failed and retreated in 538AD and then disappeared from history. Hence the prophetic statement that the little horn would "subdue three kings" in Daniel 7:24 was fulfilled. The Pope now stood unopposed as "god on earth"
back to top
Daniel 11:32 And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.
- wickedly against the covenant = they broke the foundational agreement (covenant) which the Lord offered salvation by corrupting it with Roman Catholic doctrines of devils and traditions of man.
- he = Pagan Rome now became Papal Rome as the king of the North just as Revelation 13:4 predicted. The "dragon gave power unto the beast" at this time. This also fulfills Daniel 7:23-25 wherein the little horn rises up to power.
- shall corrupt by flatteries = two ways the Papal power did this. #1, they appealed to political leaders with wealth and power, and they appealed to the common man with "smooth teachings" that allowed for them to gain Heaven while still in sin. Whatever the flesh desires, Rome was always at the ready to supply to its converts. Just as we saw how Satan used this method with Pagan Rome to gain political freinds it would later destroy physically, he used Papal Rome to do the same thing with its congregation spiritually. He gains them by enticing them with either wealth or eternal life while still in sin so as to destroy them later in hellfire.
- but = in direct contrast to the previous group that are corrupted by Rome, we now see a a new group of people.
- the people that do know their God = obedient Christians. "These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb." -Revelation 14:4
- shall be strong and do exploits = This speaks of those faithful followers of Christ that refused to bow to Catholicism that were blessed of God to keep the faith alive even if it meant torture and death! They performed amazing exploits of the faith with self sacrifice and religious heroism. These obedient Christians were found in such groups as the Waldenses, Albigenses the Hugenots and others.
back to top
Daniel 11:33 And they that understand among the people shall instruct many: yet they shall fall by the sword, and by flame, by captivity, and by spoil, many days.
- they that understand among the people shall instruct many = the leaders of the early Protestant movement went from town to town and camp to camp preaching and teaching the Bible truths to those that refused to bow to Papal Rome. These missionaries kept the light of truth alive.
- they = at least 500,000,000 Christians were martyred by the Roman Catholic Popes from 538AD to 1798AD. (exactly 1260 years)
- shall fall by the sword, flame, capitivty and spoil = the inquisitions of the Roman Catholic church murdered many true Bible believing Christians because they refused to compromise their faith. They died by the sword, many were burned alive, some died in the dungeons of torture and starvation, and many died when their homes and belongings were taken so as to force them into the cold homeless.
- many days = the 1260 years that Daniel 7:25, (time and times and the dividing of time = 3.5 years) Revelation 12:6, (a thousands two hundred and threescore days = 1260 days / 3.5 years) and Revelation 13:5, (forty and two months = 3.5 years) speak of. Both Numbers 14:34 & Ezekiel 4:6 declare "a day = a year" in prophecy. This means the time period of 538AD to 1798AD is a perfect fulfillment of the prophecy.
back to top
Daniel 11:34 Now when they shall fall, they shall be holpen with a little help: but many shall cleave to them with flatteries.
- they shall fall = some say 50,000,000 Christians died, some say 100,000,000. Foxe's book of martyrs says 500,000,000 Christian died.
- they shall be holpen with a little help = Revelation 12:16 says, "And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth." Plus, the great reformation where the Lord used Luther brought forth much help to many of the persecuted Christians in that it strengthened their faith and in some cases actually slowed Rome's forward movements against the truth they embraced and shared. In many areas people were free to worship as Luther taught. (*see note below)
- many shall cleave to them with flatteries = not only did Satan have his agents among the faithful to discourage them during the reformation, he also convinced some to join their churches with the State as Rome did to take up arms and literally fight the Catholics in many bloody battles. I'm sure the "flattery" that they would be victorious for God and church lured many into union with the wicked. Still, all of this did eventually lead to many fleeing to America where prophecy stated true Protestantism would blossom for many years. (*see note below)
*NOTE: Jesus said, "Except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened." Matthew 24:22. This explains why the signs in the "sun, moon, and stars" occurred before 1798. (May 19, 1780) How the Lord did it doesn't matter. My understanding is, after the reformation, and during the period of "flatteries" wherein some were convinced to use violence against Rome, the people finally revolted in that they had generated a hatred for the Vatican and political pressures prevented her from continuing persecution in many areas. In short, they had their hands full. As they sought to spin-doctor their actions into hiding, Napoleon eventually came to power, realized his mission, and stripped the Vatican's Statehood in the exact year of 1798! The fact it happened in that very year proves it was "in the works" years prior because you cannot just waltz in and take over without some sort of political posturing well in advance. Rome was sufficiently weakened enough over those 18 years so as to allow Napoleon to gain the victory.
back to top
Daniel 11:35 And some of them of understanding shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make them white, even to the time of the end: because it is yet for a time appointed.
- some of them of understanding shall fall to try them = Many of the faithful church leaders died at hands of Rome. This "tried" the church's faith.
- to purge, and to make them white = Whenever a leader is martyred, many of the weaker Christian's experience their faith being strengthen and many nonbelievers come into the faith realizing it's bold and precious truths. At the same time, many of the weak also leave the church. They are "purged" because they have not the faith or courage to stand in obedience unto death. James 1:3-4 says, "Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing." Historic fact is, whenever the church was persecuted it was pure, or "made white" because only the strong in Christ had the courage to stand in such a persecuted church. Whenever persecution ended the church always filled with the weak in faith, the hypocrites and apostates who feared to be in the church during it's trial. Once they joined, their influence eventually weakened the church.
- even to the time of the end: because it is yet for a time appointed = 1798AD is the time the persecutions" ended" for the most part due to the fact Napoleon sent in his General Berthier to take the Pope captive. However, persecutions do continue to this day. Not as they did during this "appointed time" of exactly 1260 years as Daniel 7:25, Revelation 12:6 and Revelation 13:5 all proclaim. However, as we can see today by all the Christians dying for their faith*, this mortal wound of 1798AD is healing as prophesied in Revelation 13:3. Therefore, even though the "appointed" time during the 1260 years came to an "end." It will start up again "because it is yet for a time appointed" in our day.
*NOTE: As of 2010, 200,000+ Christians die each year at the hands of Muslims and another 175,000 are tortured. Many claim this proves Islam to be Antichrist. But those with eyes that see know the Vatican was behind the inception of the religion of Islam as well as the writing of their holy book. Rome's wound is healing. But they use crafitiness as Daniel 8:25 predicted to hide their agenda. During the Inquisition, they used many Civil authorities to kill Christians, in World War II they used Hitler to kill Jews and Christians, and today they use Islam to kill Christians. So, even though it looks like Rome is innocent of these crimes, we now have the evidence before us.
back to top
Daniel 11:36 And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done.
- the king = the king of the north which at this time is the Papacy. As Daniel has done before when speaking on Pagan Rome, he would always outline certain events regarding its rise to power and then retraced those events to confirm this in the minds of the readers, he does the same thing here with Papal Rome. In verses 30-35 of this chaper he spoke of Papal Rome's rise to power and now in 36-39 he is repeating his findings to further highlight the facts.
- shall do according to his own will = as history proves, the Papacy has always ruled over kings and queens of Europe to please his own design.
- he shall exalt himself = the popes of Rome had placed themselves as above every government on earth claiming it was the right of the church to do so. All leaders agreed, except those that ended being destroyed by war. The fact King Henry IV of Germany stood barefoot in the snow wearing a camel hairshirt for three days begging the pope to rescind his political excommunication in January of 1077AD proves this hands down. This method of control is being reignited today as we see the Popes stealthily controlling all nations on earth politically via their seat on the U.N. and all churches religiously via the seat of "leader" in the United Religions (U.R.) The wound that heals that John spoke of in Revelation 13:3 is occurring today.
- magnify himself above every god = the title "Lord God the Pope" ("Extravagantes" o.f Pope John XXII Cum inter, Tit. XIV, Cap. IV.) is just one of scores of Vatican statements of the Pope declaring himself to be a "god on earth." -Lucius Ferraris, «Prompta Bibliotheca», 1763, Volume VI, 'Papa II', pp.25-29 (click here for many more quotes) As it was back then, it is happening today in that all politicians, churches and media "magnify" the Popes above the Lord God by using the title "Holy Father" when referring to him time and time again.
- shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods = blasphemy is the main fruit of the Popes of Rome. To claim to be a god on earth is blasphemy according to John 10:33, and to claim to forgive the sins of men is another blasphemy according to Mark 2:7. The Popes also claim to have the power to remove Christ from His throne to imprison Him inside the Eucharist of the Mass, when in fact, Acts 17:24 says, "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"
- shall prosper = As it was back then, it is today were the Papacy has not only prospered in causing the whole world to "wonder after the beast" (Revelation 13:3,4) by causing all leaders to bow to its political agendas, but churches as well embrace much of her doctrines, including the spurious Pagan Sabbath. The Vatican is also known to prosper in riches as well. It has been stated on camera recently by a leader in the U.K. that if you were to add all the gold from all the gold mines of the world throughout all of human history, you would still never reach the riches contained within the Vatican.
- till the indignation be accomplished = over 86% of Roman Catholic doctrine is "unworthy" to be called truth in that it is nowhere to be found in the Scripture of the Christian God. One of her most prominent lies is the false Sabbath of the Pagan gods that is a a source of offence against the Creator God. This indignity sufficiently draws many away from the Creator to embrace the false god of the Popes. Rome will do as she does, especially in spreading her false doctrines and persecuting God's people all the way up until Jesus returns to tread, "...the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God." ( Revelation 19:15)
- for that that is determined shall be done = the sure word prophecies of God are iron clad. They will happen exactly as He proclaimed, and then the end will come. In other words, Rome will do what it does, but only as God will allow. There will come a day when her power will end because it has been declared to end by the very God they mock! (See Revelation 14:9,10 & Daniel 7:11) No matter how powerful these followers of Satan may appear or even become, the will of God cannot be undone. That which is determined to happen will happen!
back to top
Daniel 11:37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.
- Neither shall he = the king of the north (Papacy)
- regard the God of his fathers = the Creator of the Universe. The Papacy is made up of men that worship Pagan gods while claiming to be a Christian church, hence they disregard the God of creation. The early church did worship the Lord, but the Papacy mixed that worship with Paganism and sufficiently disregarded the God of their fathers.
- nor the desire of women = one central doctrine of Roman Catholic prelates is their "celibacy" doctrine.The priests openly disregard the Word where to commands all pastors to be the "husband of one wife" (1 Timothy 3:2) while at the same time fulfill the prophecy of 1 Timothy 4:3 wherein it states they will "forbid to marry." The Roman Catholic church is also well known in today's world as the largest known organized group of homosexual pedophiles.
- nor regard any god = truth is, when you look at how the Popes are set up as a "god on earth," they not only place themselves above the God of creation, they deny their own Pagan gods as well.
- he shall magnify himself above all = this is indeed the main fruit of Roman Catholic prelates. Like Caesar of Rome, the Pope's of Papal Rome declare themselves god of all. (See http://www.remnantofgod.org/beastword.htm#earthgod ) Their doctrine of "transubstantiation" wherein they claim power over even Jesus Christ Himself openly declares they "magnify" themselves above all just as prophecy predicted. They also claim to be able to change Scripture and make doctrines that even God Himself must obey. In Daniel 7:25 it states the Papacy will think to change God's Sabbath commandment. They have done just that in declaring the Pagan Sabbath of Sunday has replaced the seventh day Sabbath of the Creator God.
back to top
Daniel 11:38 But in his estate shall he honour the God of forces: and a god whom his fathers knew not shall he honour with gold, and silver, and with precious stones, and pleasant things.
- his = king of the north (Papacy)
- shall he honor the God of forces = while being a political entity, the Papacy claimed to be a Christian church. Plus, Antichrist honors God in "lip service" when they claim to be Christians to the world, yet preach an error filled message. This is what is meant by the statement they "hold the truth in unrighteousness." (See Romans 1:18) They speak the Word, yet embrace sin. They claim Christ Lord (honor Him) yet worship Mary (Pagan queen) instead. Some claim the "God of forces" has to do with military, and the Papacy does in fact use the military in a big way even today. Others claim it has to do with the New Age "forces" of which the Papacy also embraces today in their ecumenical message. Could this be the "God of forces" is in fact the true God here. Not only do the translators capitalize the name "God" here, it appears verifiable by the next statement made by Daniel. He says he will honor the God of forces AND a god his fathers never knew. The Papacy does in fact "honour" the Christian God with lip service, while at the same time embrace gods the forefathers never knew. That of course being the Pagan gods of ancient Rome.
- and a god = The word “and” is changing the subject and not adding to the original statement regarding the “God of forces.” The fact that the “God of forces” is capitalized, and this second reference to “a god” is not capitalized suggests it is speaking of two different entities. Also, in V39 Daniel says he will have a strong hold with a "strange god" which again suggests two entities are being spoken of.
- whom his fathers knew not = as V37 declared, the "God of his fathers" was the Creator God. The Papacy mixed Christianity with Paganism. The Pagan gods were not "known" by the Christian forefathers as worthy of worship. Mary is a good example of this in that they call her "Queen of Heaven" as did the Pagans that provoked God to anger in Jeremiah 7:18; 44:17-19,25
- shall he honor with gold, and sliver, and with precious stones, and pleasant things = The Vatican and all its churches is a perfect fulfillment of this passage in that they are literally drenched in Gold, silver, precious stones, and pleasant things" that are all dedicated to 365 Pagan gods as well as the Pagan Queen of Heaven. Yes, some of these riches also appear to be dedicated to Jesus Christ as well. But as Paul predicted in 2 Corinthians 11:3-4, this is "another Jesus" in the Roman churches.
Also see Truth Provided Broadcast, question #1 on 12-05-04 Who is the God of forces, & the False Prophet?"
back to top
Daniel 11:39 Thus shall he do in the most strong holds with a strange god, whom he shall acknowledge and increase with glory: and he shall cause them to rule over many, and shall divide the land for gain.
NOTE: Most students of prophecy from historical SDA days believed we now come to future prophecies from this point forward. All the verses prior to #39 are well documented to be past history. However, it is now 2012 and some of the "future" prophecies from V39 are now in the past by only a few years. As documented records prove, V39 came to fruition in our generation.
- Thus shall he do = the popes
- in the most strong holds with a strange god = places wherein the Pagan gods of Rome were not especially popular or embraced, Rome has had great success here moving people to worship Mary and other so called Roman Catholic saints. In fact, in the false religions of the American Indians, the Tibetan Dali Lama, and Hindus we find "a woman" is prophesied to bring peace to the world. Even Muslims speak of Mary with high regard. As we watched John Paul II travel around the world in his pontificate, he did in fact gather most nations to embrace Roman Catholicism. The Pope now has (as of 2011) 175 nations in agreement with the Vatican.
- whom he shall acknowledge and increase with glory = the movement in the Vatican the last few decades alone is to place Mary as cosaviour around the world! In fact, three Popes and many prelates use the title "coredemptrix" (coSaviour) when speaking of Mary. In fact, John Paul II, who had the moto "TOTUS TUUS SUM MARIA", which in English translates to: "MARY, I'M ALL YOURS" embroidered upon his robes, stated in 1997 "It is possible to understand the authentic meaning of Marian worship in the Ecclesial community... which furthermore is based on the will of Christ" (Vatican Information Service, May 7, 1997) At present, many nonChristian religions speak of Mary in high regard, including the Vatican contrived nation of Islam.
- he shall; cause them to rule over many = the popes, especially John Paul II, caused "marian worship" to become a controlling factor in all the nations in agreement with them. In fact, all Catholics to this day worship Mary and the Roman Catholic saints as gods that can hear their prayers. This has caused all to become subjects or "ruled" over by the whim of these demons that cause many types of manifestations around the world to keep them subject to their rule.
- shall divide the land for gain = in the past, and to this day no political leader will do anything major without first asking permission of the popes. As Roman Catholic priest Malachi Martin admits in his book, "the keys of this blood" on page 430 "The Vatican knows Saturday what will happen on Monday anywhere in the world." And on page 143 he stated "Papal structure is prepared for worldwide rule now." That book was published in 1990 when the Pope only had 91 nations in agreement. At John Paul II's death they had 174 nations, and soon after, China joined to make it 175. The papacy has always claimed the right to divide the planet as she sees fit. The "Club of Rome" has already divided it into "ten kingdoms" on paper as of 1973. This "New World Order" is Rome's modern day prophetic fingerprint exposing them. Most claim the Popes have no such power, but they have had this power for eons. When the Normans under king Henry II took Ireland, it was Pope Adrian IV who first “gave him permission” to do so.
back to top
Daniel 11:40 And at the time of the end shall the king of the south push at him: and the king of the north shall come against him like a whirlwind, with chariots, and with horsemen, and with many ships; and he shall enter into the countries, and shall overflow and pass over.
- at the time of the end = 1798AD when the Pope's power was "mortally wounded" as Revelation 13:3 predicted. One can see this as a two phase event when speaking of the "time of the end" as well in that, herein is the end of the Papal reign (for a time) and the 2300 year prophecy of Daniel 8:14 clearly defines the "time of the end" to be 1844 and on when the present truth can now go forward unencumbered by the Papacy.
- king of the south push at him = Communism today is of the same mindset of ancient atheistic Egypt in that they too deny the Christian God. Hence the king of the south here symbolically depicts Egypt and their atheistic theology and can be seen "*pushing" at the Popes in how all nations previously dominated by Papal authority were overthrown by revolution and even war to become communist nations. The people rebelled against Christianity because of the way the Popes violently portrayed it. For example, the French revolution with Napoleon can be seen in the same light as ancient Egypt in that they boldly denied all belief and worship of a Deity and "pushed" so hard that the Pope was pulled from power (mortally wounded) in 1798 and died in captivity in the year 1799 just as Revelation 13:3,10 predicted.
- him = the Papacy
- king of the north = the Papacy. Since the last few verses discuss in detail the papacy and it's "spiritual" corruptions. It obviously holds the title "king of the north" more so in the spiritual realm than a geographical sense. Especially now since it's power is to spread globally surpassing the northern regions as it were. We must also agree that if in fact this chapter is speaking of the same time span as Daniel 2, 7 & 8, (which it is) and if Rome is the final kingdom in all these chapters, (which it is) and if this chapter (11) is on the same time frame, (which it is) then the king of the north is the Roman Catholic church. (*James White agreed with this decision) NOTE: Some say the king of the north is a different entity here by the use of grammar. If I were to put this in today’s words, I would say the king of the south is pushing at him, and the king of the north is simply responding to that push. One can go so far as to declare the king of the north to be a "revived" version of his former self in that revenge is part of the picture. We can see this clearly in history in how the Popes from this day forward infiltrated and manipulated numerous countries to assure a "healing" to the wound administered in 1798. The fact Daniel declares this king comes against the king of the south like a "whirlwind" suggests a vengeful or revived attitude. One last thing to ponder. In the SDA Encycolpedia vol. 10 pg.366, it states the following, "As used in the prophecy of Daniel, a cryptic term for what was taken away by a power described as "a little horn, which waxed exceeding great" in the vision of Dan. 8 and as the "king of the north" in Dan. 11.” (also see notes confirming same at verse 45 below.)
- come against him like a whirlwind = this leads to the healing of the deadly wound administered in 1798AD. The Papacy came against all its enemies like a "whirlwind" since then. Since 1929AD with the Lateran Treaty allowing the Vatican to regain it's "church & State" status, the king of the north has been exceptionally vicious. So much so, all opposing nations have fallen to the Pope's demands by agreements politically or by war to the point that 175 nations are now in agreement with him, and all Communist nations (king of the south) have fallen in one way or another. The Soviet Union fell literally, the Berlin wall came down in pieces, and China has obviously come into agreement with the Pope in such a way they are now considered a capitalist nation today. The Papacy has also been instrumental in forming a "New World Order" in that her attack on all opposers can be easily seen as a "whirlwind."
- with chariots, and with horesemen, and with many ships = military power. (see 1 Kings 1:5; 20;1, Isaiah 22:6,7, Jeremiah 46:9, Ezekiel 39:20) (For additional definitions of these symbols click here) No one will deny that when Rome wants a nation to bow to her demands, she will use the military strength of whatever nation she controls at that time. She tried this with Hitler in WW2 and failed, but since then has regrouped and has been very successful in doing this today by using the military power of the United States. Every nation that has gone to war since WW2 have bowed to Rome in agreement directly after their wars ended and their leaders replaced.
- shall enter into the countries, and shall overflow and pass over = the success of the Vatican against the "king of the south" (atheistic Communism) in modern day has been very apparent. Especially when Pope John Paul II and Ronald Reagan joined forces to cause Russia to fall as well as the Berlin wall. However, it is even more apparent today as we see riots in many anti-Christian nations right now (2011-2012) where new constitutions approved by Rome have been drafted. This was never more apparent after the European Union ratified their new constitution where within 24 hours Germany, the home country of the present Pope, passed Sunday laws that will eventually become more strict.
*NOTE: the word "push" is defined as "war" in Daniel 8:4 wherein Medo-Persia (the two horned ram) "pushed" west, north and south in their many conquests.
back to top
Daniel 11:41 He shall enter also into the glorious land, and many countries shall be overthrown: but these shall escape out of his hand, even Edom, and Moab, and the chief of the children of Ammon.
- He = the papacy
- shall enter also into the glorious land = Catholicism will infiltrate the true church of Jesus Christ. I believe this to have been done to both Protestantism as well as the SDA church. The "glorious land" can also be translated thusly.
In Strong's Concordance:,
Glorious = beautiful, goodly, pleasant, roebuck, gazelle, honorable (Strong's #06643)
Land = way, field, nations, wilderness, Israel, tribe, region, territory (Strong's # 0776)
In these definitions we can see the followers of Christ as they are described in prophecy many times.
- many shall be overthrown = many "of the faith" have been overthrown by Roman Catholic doctrines for ages.
- these shall escape out of his hand = in all ages we have had God's faithful people that refused to bow to Papal heresies. Many of course were martyred, but even though they died, they still "escaped out of his hand" to gain their reward in Heaven. We also know the "woman" (church/bride of Christ) escaped into "the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God ...to be nourished for a time, and times, and half a time." -Revelation 12:6,14
- Edom, Moab and the children of Ammon = these represent the enemies of ancient Israel. 1 Samuel 14:47 says, "So Saul took the kingdom over Israel, and fought against all his enemies on every side, against Moab, and against the children of Ammon, and against Edom, and against the kings of Zobah, and against the Philistines: and whithersoever he turned himself, he vexed them." Many of the ancient Jews have been lured into what would eventually become Catholicism. Some were even indoctrinated by Catholic prelates stealing infant Jews and raising them Catholic. This was done in a major way in Hitler's day. But as we see today, many of them have "escaped" Papal heresy as well. They too will join with our number soon. In fact, there are already many Jews that have accepted Christ as Saviour within the church right now. (See Isaiah 11:11-16)
back to top
Daniel 11:42 He shall stretch forth his hand also upon the countries: and the land of Egypt shall not escape.
- He = the Papacy (king of the north)
- shall stretch for his hand also upon the countries = the club of Rome began in April of 1968 when the leaders from ten countries gathered in Rome. They have specific plans to divide the world "into ten political/ economic regions, which it refers to as 'kingdoms.' These ten "kingdoms" were also mentioned in Revelation 17:12, "And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast." All leaders in agreement with Rome since Hitler have called this "ten fold union" the "New World Order."
- the land of Egypt shall not escape = Egypt is the prophetic symbol of Atheism. (See Exodus 5:2) It has already been noted by all political leaders that are either Atheist, secular, or simply nonChristian that they have agreed to lend their support to the Pope's NWO agenda. In so much so that when Sunday Laws are enforced, due to their agreements, they will not escape the laws enacted by the Papacy. This is mentioned in Revelation 13:3, "And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast." The reason this is a future event, of which even nonbelievers agree, is because this prophecy in Revelation 13:3 speaks of it occurring after the mortal wound of 1798AD is finally healed. When that day comes, Sunday Laws will follow shortly thereafter.
back to top
Daniel 11:43 But he shall have power over the treasures of gold and of silver, and over all the precious things of Egypt: and the Libyans and the Ethiopians shall be at his steps.
- he = the Papacy (king of the north)
- shall have power over the treasures of gold and of silver, and over all the precious things = The Pope asked for "moral control" of the global currency in July of 2009, and made stern political demands on this in 2011. The Pope already controls the globally fashioned EU currency. PLUS, it was noted recently by a UK politician on camera that the Vatican right now has more gold than all the gold mines of history combined. Prophecy does say the beast will enforce a mark that prevents "buying and selling" in Revelation 13:17. Without the ability to "have power over" all trade, as the Pope is right now demanding, the Pope will be unable to enforce his mark. As of March of 2012, this is a future prophetic event.
- of Egypt = in prophecy this country is defined as atheism. Egypt is also known for its rich oil and coal deposits as well as fertile regions of the Nile. This is also a future prophetic event that occurs once the Vatican has control of the global economy. (John 14:29 applies here)
- Libyans and the Ethiopians at his steps = future prophetic event. (John 14:29 applies here) Yes, this is a future event, but we can get some clues as to its fruition. If we look at the symbolic means of Libya and Ethiopia we find that ancient Libyans lived on the edge of the desert and always desired the ferile Nile valley of Egypt. Therefore Libya symbolizes the third world countries Rome is a war with right now. (2012AD) The Ethiopians on the other hand were always looked upon as wealthy due to their goldmines, cattle, ivory and ebony. They also had much traffic from Africa had to pass through Ethiopia to get to Egypt. Therefore, Ethiopia symbolizes the Western World with their astronomical traffic and wealth. In other words, no one will escape the reach of the Papacy once it's mortal wound is healed.
back to top
Daniel 11:44 But tidings out of the east and out of the north shall trouble him: therefore he shall go forth with great fury to destroy, and utterly to make away many.
- tidings from the east (shall trouble him) = Ezekiel 43:1,2, Revelation 7:1-3, and Revelation 16:12 speak of the loud cry that is initiated by the angel that comes from "the east." The truth God's faithful remnant are moved by the Lord to proclaim at this time spreads globally and makes it literally impossible for the Papacy to control all souls on earth. Many will "escape out of his hand" as as verse 41 declared due to this loud cry. The Biblical message of this remnant people coupled with the Latter Rain "shall trouble him" to great lengths.
- and out of the north shall trouble him = because of the loud cry "troubling" the Papacy at this time, the Pope goes ahead with Sunday Laws to try and quench the forward movement of truth. But that act forces the end to come upon him and all mankind. Jesus, the "great King.. on the sides of the north," (Psalm 48:1,2) a place Satan longs to sit in, (Isaiah 14:13) drops the censor, the plagues begin to "trouble" the Papacy even more.
- he shall go forth with great fury to destroy, and utterly to make away many = the little time of trouble. Many will die for their faith who refuse to go along with all that the Papacy is doing at this time. As of 2012, hundreds of thousands of Christians are dying right now in many Middle Eastern nations that have bowed to the Pope's power. The mortal wound of 1798AD will eventually heal and the mark of the beast will be enforced which leads to Sunday Laws. As the remnant people refuse to bow to the Papal mandate, laws will be passed allowing the killing of Sabbath keeping Christians as a legalized act..
back to top
Daniel 11:45 And he shall plant the tabernacles of his palace between the seas in the glorious holy mountain; yet he shall come to his end, and none shall help him.
- shall come to his end = this is the final straw. His coming "between the seas" is Satan's final act of rebellion assuming to "sit upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north" - Isaiah 14:13. Since it is God that enacts punishment upon him, "he shall come to his end" here and...
- none shall help him = none can help him because it is God Himself enacting judgment upon him. This act expedites Jesus' return as intimated in Isaiah 14:13-15 and effectively causes the Papacy and her cohorts of the New World Order to only "rule as kings one hour with the beast." (Revelation 17:12) Satan's rule on earth is then suspended for 1000 years. (Revelation 20:2-3) Jesus returns with us at the end of those 1000 years and puts a literal end to Satan and his cohorts in the executive judgment of Hellfire. (Revelation 20:9) Another reason "none shall help him" is due to the fact that all his cohorts burn with him.
NOTE: Isaiah speaks of this day and the judgment that falls upon Satan in Isaiah 14:13-15 where it says, "For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit."
* The word "in" could also = "and"
back to top